August Reading Wrap Up


As mentioned in my August Goals post, I wanted to try and read at least three new books this month. I'm such a huge re-reader and I always choose to re-read books instead of picking up the new ones I've bought but I'm glad to report I've accomplished this small task. Yay!

I read a total of five books this month, although one of them I read twice. Like I said, I have re-reading issues. But, three of those five were new reads: We Were Liars by E Lockhart, Looking For Alaska by John Green and Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. My re-reads were The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky and The Short Second Life Of Bree Tanner by Stephanie Meyer.
As far as the new reads go, I was so happy to read these books. I'm not going to give away a lot of my thoughts about them as I have reviews coming up, but I'll give you a little insight.  Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell might possibly be one of the cutest books, ever. I found myself smiling through-out and it had one of those romances that makes you squeal out loud at the first kiss. Adorable. It's about a socially awkward, shy, nervous girl who adores fanfiction going to college. She deals with romances, betrayal, disappointment, family emergencies... you name it. Definitely worth a read (in fact, I read it twice this month!) Next up is Looking For Alaska by John Green. This book. My first attempt at reading this book did not go well - I hated it. But a few weeks ago I picked it up again and read it within a few hours - I loved it. LFA is all about Miles and his first year at boarding school, where he meets The Colonel and messed-up Alaska. Alcohol, pranks, awkward first-times and one hell of a plot twist, I adore this book. Finally, We Were Liars by E Lockhart. Hmm, I'm not sure what I thought of this one. It was a little confusing, but the ending cleared everything up although I kind of worked out the plot-twist before it was revealed. It's about a group of cousins who visit their family's island every summer, and this is the first summer they've all returned since the accident. Dun dun dun!
The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is my go-to book when my anxiety is a bit wild. The main character Charlie is a wallflower - he's awkward, he's emotional and he's probably the only fictional character I've really honestly understood. We read Charlie's letters to an anonymous reader and learn about his life, his thoughts and his feelings. My favourite book of all time - read it! Lastly, I read The Short Second Life Of Bree Tanner by Stephanie Meyer. This is an Eclipse novella and I'm not really sure why I decided to read this again - maybe because of how short it was - but it was enjoyable. One of the characters we see for a mere five minutes in Eclispe (book three of the Twilight saga) is Bree, a newborn vampire who is swiftly killed by the Volturi before she really had a chance to live. This novella basically fills in a lot of the blanks that Eclipse didn't clear up. It was an interesting perspective and I quite enjoyed it.
 
Overall I'm really happy that I managed to try out some new books this month. Hopefully September will be the same!
 

No comments

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo