The Crown by Kiera Cass


Title: The Crown
Author: Kiera Cass
Genre: YA Dystopian
Length: 279 pages
 
Published: 3rd May 2016
 

Aw guyssssss. I so wanted to like this book! I mentioned in my review of The Heir that I was a bit hesitant to read the two final additions to The Selection series as sequels are never as good as the original book and unfortunately this theory manifested into reality when I read The Crown. I quite liked The Heir - although I didn't love it as much as I did the first three Selection books - but I really struggled through The Crown.
Right off the bat I was a little concerned as The Crown is a lot shorter than any other Selection book and I wondered how all of the important storylines were going to wrap themselves up properly in such a short amount of pages. This ended up being my biggest problem with The Crown - everything sorted itself out so quickly and without much explanation. It was just way too rushed. The new storyline including Marid sprung up very early on but I still didn't feel like I had enough time to care about it before it had been resolved, which was such a shame as I feel like it could have been a really interesting, dark and manipulative twist to the story.
As for the other main plot point - Eadlyn's Selection - I was incredibly disappointed with the outcome. I feel like it was just SO obvious who she was going to choose! I mentioned in my review of The Heir that I had an idea who it was and I was right. I'm not going to spoil it for you but I feel like if you find out and then re-read The Heir it'll be blatantly obvious as he was the only guy that she really paid attention to. A little plot twist within the structure of her Selection regarding two of the guys surprised me but also disappointed me. I just felt like it was an easy way to get rid of them without Eadlyn having to make much of an effort.
 
I'm really sorry that this was such a negative review but if I'm being totally honest I'm really struggling to think about something I genuinely enjoyed about it. The writing was messy and generally a bit sub-standard and the plot was predictable. I'm so disappointed because I really enjoyed the first three Selection books but this one just didn't do it for me!
 
I've decided to award this book 1/5 stars.
__________________________________________
 

1 comment

  1. It's such a shame you didn't enjoy it! I'm the same with certain series that I love; I'm always hesitant when they bring out sequels. Don't feel bad though, it's completely okay to not enjoy a book! And I'm glad you posted a negative review because it really does help others when choosing which books to read. Hope you have a fab day Lauren!

    Nabeela x
    http://nabsticle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your links - I'm always on the look out for new blogs to read xo